sleeves

A place to buy/sell/trade equipment related to dog sports.

Moderators: annecamper, Bob Miller, AronSchH3, sch3dana, Paul K

sleeves

Postby lindadobe » Mon Sep 22, 2008 6:37 am

Is it my imagination or are the new sleeves cheaply made and not very good for training? What arms are you using for your schutzhund dogs and why do you like them?

I also see the Sweikerts do not have the model number stamped into the plastic anymore? Or are imitations out there being passed on as the same sleeve?

Thanks,
Linda Guidry
lindadobe

Postby Gunny » Mon Sep 22, 2008 10:05 am

I like the Gappay trial sleeve (soft). I like it because it's got some compression, but is still hard enough to work a finished dog on....also it's soft to catch a dog on long bite. and I like it because for club trials it's a great sleeve it's a bit more forgiving to the dogs you may encounter at the club level.

and I also like the bende 19 amidextrious sleeve. It has no bite bar, and it;s great for Malinois that have naturally great bites and has good targeting skills. I would not use this sleeve on a dog that may bite soft, they can cheat and still hold on. This sleeve has been used almost Addies adult career. and she has always gotten huge compliments on her bite,

And I have a bende that's harder than rock....I have this one for the tough guys. You know the guys who had thier 4 months old puppies on a trial sleeve. Because they can take it! and then the dog after 3 sessions of biting this sleeve grip goes crap, and it's my fault....But when I suggest changing to something softer, thier manhood is offended.
Temple of the Tree's Aderes (Addie) SchH3. HOT
A'Mickey DaKine
Http://MalinoisDaKine.com
Gunny

Postby lindadobe » Tue Sep 23, 2008 5:08 am

Thank you for the reply. I have a Gappy 1010 and it is a nice sleeve but the bite surface (sweet spot) is narrow. I wanted something a little thicker there. I like my 5982 Sweikert but it broke in to quickly and is a little too soft now and longer than the Gappy. A friend recently bought the 5984 (or at least it was sold as that) the construction of the sleeve was not good at all and the model number was not stamped in the cuff and it is hard enough to break teeth easily. Are these copies??? Or is this the new construction?
lindadobe

Postby Gunny » Tue Sep 23, 2008 7:38 am

where did you buy the sleeve? I am not sure if it is a fake but, you could always ask some schwiekert dealers?
Temple of the Tree's Aderes (Addie) SchH3. HOT
A'Mickey DaKine
Http://MalinoisDaKine.com
Gunny

Postby lindadobe » Tue Sep 23, 2008 9:10 am

I will try to find out where it was bought. I think he ordered it online? I am looking for yet another sleeve now (as if I dont have enough ha) and was just wondering if this is the way they are constructed now. If so I will be looking at other brands.
lindadobe

Postby Christopher Smith » Tue Sep 23, 2008 11:00 am

lindadobe wrote:Thank you for the reply. I have a Gappy 1010 and it is a nice sleeve but the bite surface (sweet spot) is narrow. I wanted something a little thicker there. I like my 5982 Sweikert but it broke in to quickly and is a little too soft now and longer than the Gappy. A friend recently bought the 5984 (or at least it was sold as that) the construction of the sleeve was not good at all and the model number was not stamped in the cuff and it is hard enough to break teeth easily. Are these copies??? Or is this the new construction?

I think there is a lot of crap knock-off equipment out of eastern Europe that is being sold to retailers here in the US. And some of the retailers are will send this crap out to people and hope that the consumer won’t care, is ignorant or likes the sleeve.

My friend ordered a schwiekert puppy sleeve that was a bootleg. The construction and craftsmanship was horrible. When he sent it back and told them he wanted the real thing, they sent him a sleeve with a schwiekert cuff and a no-name bottom. Now the top is good and the cuff is just OK.
Last edited by Christopher Smith on Tue Sep 23, 2008 2:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Honesty is never seen sitting astride the fence."
Christopher Smith

Postby Mario_F » Tue Sep 30, 2008 2:24 pm

Everbody has their own preferences. I bought two Gappay trial sleeves and less than a year the bitebar was that that of an intermediate arm, was a bit dissapointed. I like to use softer sleeves at times, but I don't need three soft arms. My old Zawar (jan Kokx) sleeve is my work horse 8 years alot softer now but still going strong. I like my Sporthund trial sleeve (similar in size to the Schweikert 80 arm) all the dogs bite it well and their is plenty of room in barrel and nice presentation and nice weight. A sleeve that has surprised me was Rayallen basic training sleeve, its an intermediate sleeve and is probably the best sleeve on the market for the price $125, you can work various dogs at different levels and very light sleeve, basically the same material of thier ultra light series but with a bitebar. Ray Allen Trial sleeve is nice too, but they are not all the same. Our club has two of them and one is perfect and the other is too narrow in the barrel.

Scweikert sleeves now have stickers on them with the company name, no longer they sleeve # on the shoulder gaurd, unless it is old stock that someone is selling. Have to admit Schweikert sleeves are lot lighter than they use to be.
Desperation is a stinky cologne
Mario_F

Return to Equipment for Sale