Why I don't believe in decoy correction

Share any photos or videos related to Malinois or Dogsport

Moderators: annecamper, Bob Miller, AronSchH3, sch3dana, Paul K

Why I don't believe in decoy correction

Postby AronSchH3 » Thu Oct 01, 2009 1:07 pm

http://shkola-orlova.ru/view/55525f3e65 ... 25b0.xhtml

There's blood, so this isn't for the squimish. This is why I don't believe in decoy corrections.
- Dana -
And the Malinois ...
-Malachai du Ciel Rouge
AronSchH3

Re: Why I don't believe in decoy correction

Postby Phil Behun » Fri Oct 02, 2009 8:00 am

The problem wasn't with the idea or principal of a decoy correction, the problem could have been avoided if they left the leash on for the 2nd attempt. A little difficult when the dog has gripped the end of the sleeve and is pushing around toward your stick hand to begin with. Too much telegraph, too much assumption, not enough reading the dogs brain.
Phil Behun
Oak Spring Kennels
von der Eichenquelle Belgian Malinois

www.malinoisdogs.com
www.oakspringkennels.com
Phil Behun

Postby Gunny » Fri Oct 02, 2009 8:15 pm

Watch the handler. Is she really qualified to handle a dog like this? I also find it distasteful that the video is glorifing this. Not really the image I want to portray for the Malinois. I sort of agree with Phil, That the problem is not the decoy. It's the dog that has a problem with correction.
Temple of the Tree's Aderes (Addie) SchH3. HOT
A'Mickey DaKine
Http://MalinoisDaKine.com
Gunny

Postby GudDawg » Thu Oct 29, 2009 10:15 am

I don't think the handler or the dog is at fault here. The knucklehead is the decoy. Phil's right. No way should the dog be off line. Next, if you watch closely, you can see the dog anticipating that she'll get hit in the head with the stick and she's ready to transfer from the end of the sleeve to the decoy's arm as soon as he starts to take a whack at her. My guess is that this isn't the first time the decoy has tried to teach her a lesson by whacking her in the head with the stick. Smart, tough dog. The decoy's the one that got out-smarted and schooled by the dog. Gunny's right in that glorifying this kind of thing does our breed no good.
GudDawg
GudDawg

Postby Gunny » Wed Nov 04, 2009 10:07 pm

GudDawg:

I hear ya, the reaction the handler makes after the bite is what I was refering to...She never even attempts to physically remove the dog. She looks a little lost on what to do. Back to the Dog, and Decoy. I have always wondered about the temperment of dogs that live bite as reaction to something they find unpleasent. I am not sure if I can call a dog that protects himself weak in the nerves. That being said, I do not think that the nerves are the problem, I have seen an exceptionally confindent dogs that do not flinch , until they do not get thier way. Then they bite for real....This makes training the dog not only dangerous, but it's just a pain in the ass to train them. Great dogs...in all respects...except in trainability. Which I think that for me, I want a dog that is not so diffcult to train. So, in this case for me....there is something wrong with the dog. It maybe a dog I would want a puppy from...but not a dog I want to train. I have seen some dog of the opposite...dogs I never would want a puppy from, But would to love the dog itself for training.
Temple of the Tree's Aderes (Addie) SchH3. HOT
A'Mickey DaKine
Http://MalinoisDaKine.com
Gunny

Return to Photos and Videos