Congrats to David/Luigi and Danni/Lestat

Brag about your Malinois here

Moderators: annecamper, Bob Miller, AronSchH3, sch3dana, Paul K

Congrats to David/Luigi and Danni/Lestat

Postby malndobe » Mon Jan 05, 2009 3:18 pm

Luigi and Lestat both trialed at the So Cal Working Dog Association Sch trial this past weekend. David/Luigi repeated his SchIII and Danni/Lestat did their BH. Lestat passed his BH in style, only getting dinged a couple of points overall. This is Danni's first protection sport dog, actually her first dog that she's competed with in any venue except flyball, and she's done an awesome job with his training. I LOVE his attitude in the heeling. He's a cool little pocket rocket.

David and Luigi went out there and cleaned up. Luigi was his usual awesome self, David's done an excellent job with him and he just keeps getting better. They earned a 98-94-91 for HIT tracking, HIT obedience and HIT overall. The protection routine was very clean, but they lost points for being too far back from the helper in the back transport, and although every grip was already full, Luigi kept pushing in to get it even fuller and the judge didn't like that. Called it "pulsing" on the bite and dinged him.

This time I was wielding my video camera not my photo camera, so although I don't have any photos I will have video of both boys digitized and online sometime this week.
malndobe

Re: Congrats to David/Luigi and Danni/Lestat

Postby malndobe » Thu Jan 08, 2009 7:12 pm

I finally got the video digitized and uploaded.

Lestat's BH - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=23hX3jGwShs
Luigi's Obed - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9m4HnBXkfVg
Luigi's Prot - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zyqaKpEiIqo
malndobe

Postby Todd » Thu Jan 08, 2009 10:12 pm

Luigi looked very nice, and I disagree with the score for a club trial. I think the judge was Nathanal R. Usa judge. If so I have seen a couple of his dogs and He has never trained a dog to that level, I think he is jealous.
Todd

Postby Born2be » Fri Jan 09, 2009 10:50 am

Props, too, to Brenda Arao for taking Dani under her wing with helping her prepare for the trial.

David Greene is a dedicated competitor and it shows in the results he gets out of his dogs. Congrats.

I have my one point "beef" with Nathaniel (inside joke, as I have been on the receiving end of his sharp pencil), but I personally think he judges the better teams (consciously or not) a little sharper than the others (possibly) in preparation of/knowing that the team will be taking that next step towards Regional/National level competition. Fair, not, but I bet if you asked Nathaniel about the scores he could justify every half point taken...he's one of the better judges with very thorough critiques.

My $.02

W>
Born2be

Postby TamiS » Sat Jan 10, 2009 11:59 am

Holy cow! I only finally watched David & Luigi's performance that was posted. I like Nathaniel, and I certainly wasn't there to see the fine details (like did he give extra commands, the up close details of the dog under drives, etc.) but I can't IMAGINE that being out of a "V". Blinds were tight, grips looked good, outs looked clean, secondary control was super, entries were fast. I have seen Luigi in training and he and David make a fabulous team. What a nice performance!

One thing I have noticed in general is that alot of mals often get lower scores via USA judges than overseas at the world championships in the C phase. I think alot still has to do with the German Shepherd dominated style of judging. Heck, the last dog I trialed at a regional/national level was a shepherd. Being used to the speed and fight of a mal I was shocked that my shepherd earned V scores when I felt they were SG scores. Kind of ironic.

Tami
TamiS

Postby Sue » Sat Jan 10, 2009 2:46 pm

Couple of things from the Luigi video, wished the critiqued had been taped to see what Nathaniel thought.... I do not know the handler or the dog. But, I watch for anything on husband's dogs when he is training and competing. Same on others.
Watched this video a few times, most without sound and I just focused on the dog, not the handler.

I have seen Nathaniel judge various breeds with no variance between breeds, just the work.

Overall, performance was very nice.

Blind search was VERY nice, fast, tight and looked in the blinds.

Dog hesistated a bit on the initial start of the BH in the 6th blind. Barking was not consistent throughout, there were a few halting hesistations. There would be some possible type of point deductions. Normally, there would be.

Dog bumped the helper pretty heavily in the blind at least 2 times, possibly a slight 3rd. About 2 points right there, per bump. Personal experience (:lol:, Clark - no comment) this does set the tone sometimes for the whole view of the work.

Escape grip was a bit towards the elbow. Some judges are OK with this, some are not and might deduct slightly.
Fast out, good focus and re-attack.

Too far back on the BT, a bit of forging on the 1st part before the run. Full grip, into the helper, towards the elbow a bit.

Nice long bite, again into the helper and working his legs :-) Slight elbow, but full grip.

"Luigi kept pushing in to get it even fuller and the judge didn't like that. Called it "pulsing" on the bite and dinged him."
I have heard this phrase before. Working judge that talked about it also did not like it (he is also a 2x WUSV helper, handler (all HOT to WUSV and FCI level) and working judge - talk about fun to trial under..... He likes when the dog pulls down to bring the fight.
Sue

Postby Sue » Mon Jan 12, 2009 5:47 am

Watching again, only 2 bumps and would think about 94-95.

Again, very nice work and really look forward to seeing this time at high level. Will do well!
Sue

Return to Brags