AWDF/FCI team

Events and results

Moderators: annecamper, Bob Miller, AronSchH3, sch3dana, Paul K

AWDF/FCI team

Postby Glenn Stephenson » Fri Jul 06, 2007 12:53 pm

Congratulations to the 2007 AWDF FCI IPO Championship team. Each of these competitors clocked the hours and miles to qualify. Ivan and Kevin were our 1/2 finishers at the AWDF Championship, Jim and Dave are repeats from 2006 FCI Championship. Hardy, from DVG, is a newcomer to AWDF international team, but is an old timer to the sport.

Team Leader TBD

Ivan Balabanov with Qenny Ot Vitosha, Malinois, HOB(Bred)
Kevin Lanouette with Gismo vd Mohnwiese, GSD
Dave Kroyer with Rasta vom Germelhaus, GSD
James Lempner with Mucke vom Haus Vortkamp, GSD
Hardy Ernsting with Caraq von Lowenfels, Malinois

No alternate

We are taking resumes for Team Leader.

The competition is in Asti, Italy September 6-9, 2007. The website is www.fci2007.it.

Make plans now to watch the event results. And it wouldn't hurt to send AWDF contributions to offset the thousands of dollars each of these competitors will incur just to go. See our AWDF site, awdf.net, for the Treasurer's info.

Please feel free to spread this posting around...particularly to all the AWDF clubs.
Glenn Stephenson

Postby Sue » Fri Jul 06, 2007 4:56 pm

A good person, if you need a travel agent, is Dana Hucklestein (sp) at www.lewistravel.com

FYI.....

Car rental is expensive there. Airport is Milan, about 1.5 hours from the event site.
Sue

Postby mohawkjohn » Tue Jul 10, 2007 9:22 pm

How about Marina Shukh? Why is'nt she on the FCI team? I thought she had a good qualifying score?..........MohawkJohn!
mohawkjohn

Postby G Stephenson » Wed Jul 11, 2007 9:36 pm

The executive board of the AWDF declared that she was not a member in good standing because of the probation she accepted at last years AWDF championship. By this determination she is not allowed to be on the FCI team, representing the AWDF.

I am not in agreement with this determination for many reasons.

1. Only the AWMA can determine if she is a member in good standing.
2. The grievance committee at the AWDF does not have the authority to sanction anyone for anything. Only through the board of inquiry recommendations and then a vote by the board can anyone be sanctioned for anything.
3. The grievance committee's letter to Marina specifically states that if she writes a letter of apology all sanctions, except the '08 AWDF restriction will be lifted and she will be on probation for 3 years. And again I point out that this committee does not have the authority to sanction her in the first place. Marina did write a letter of apology to the AWDF board and it was accepted as adequate by a unanimous vote of the executive board. By acceptance of this letter of apology Marina is still restricted from the "08 AWDF but all other restrictions are lifted. The boards opinion (mine being the only dissension) is that sense Marina is on probation she is not a member in good standing.

Obviously, I don't agree with this decision. There are appropriate ways to deal with these situations and I believe the executive board handled this incorrectly. If, it is felt that Marina is not an appropriate representative for the AWDF this must be handled through the board of inquiry. This is the only avenue that will allow Marina to present her side of the allegations. I have read the posted AWDF bylaws and the FCI team guidelines, hell, I assisted in writing half of them and this decision by the board is not in compliance with either.

I am not arguing this in defense of Marina. From what I have heard she was irresponsible and showed poor judgment at last years AWDF and some suspensions are probably in order. But this must be done according to our bylaws and guidelines. This has not been done.

If, this decision is allowed to stand, the board would have good grounds to restrict her from being on the FCI team until her probation has been satisfied. This would mean that an excellent young handler and dog would effectively be shut out from competition for the life of this dog. This is excessive!

The AWDF board thinks I am wrong, what do you think?

Glenn
G Stephenson

Postby mohawkjohn » Wed Jul 11, 2007 9:46 pm

I think it is vary wrong! Not to mention she pulled a 280 at the FMBB World Championship....and her dog blew the send out! So her and her dog already showed the can handle the responsibility of a Championship ...Im not saying she was not guilty as charged but this is excessive...
mohawkjohn

Postby annecamper » Thu Jul 12, 2007 9:56 am

I appreciate Glenn's clarification of what happened, especially because the only notification the AWMA received about this decision was a phone call to me that she was going to be disallowed due to "prior conduct." I have no direct knowledge of the procedures that were followed or the rationale for the decision. I will be sending a letter to the AWDF president and secretary today asking for clarification on these points so we are aware of how this decision was reached.

Anne
annecamper

Postby Mike Baker » Thu Jul 12, 2007 10:13 am

It is excessive. She shouldn't be resricted so much as to lose the opportunities she has with such a great dog/handler team. Thanks Glenn for your information.
Mike Baker

Postby sch3dana » Fri Jul 13, 2007 12:32 am

If, this decision is allowed to stand, the board would have good grounds to restrict her from being on the FCI team until her probation has been satisfied. This would mean that an excellent young handler and dog would effectively be shut out from competition for the life of this dog. This is excessive!

I'm not following the "life of the dog" portion of this statement. My understanding is that she is on probation for one year. How would this effectively bar her for the life of the dog? Sim is only 2.5 or 3 years old.
-Dana Miller
www.ksMalinois.com
sch3dana

Postby Mike Baker » Fri Jul 13, 2007 7:18 am

From Glenn above:
3. The grievance committee's letter to Marina specifically states that if she writes a letter of apology all sanctions, except the '08 AWDF restriction will be lifted and she will be on probation for 3 years. And again I point out that this committee does not have the authority to sanction her in the first place.
Mike Baker

Postby Will » Fri Jul 13, 2007 7:18 am

Dana,
I believe that what Glenn is referring to is that should the judgment stand as is, which is to say that while Marina is on probation, then AWDF would be able to effectively preclude her from any of these events until she is removed from probation. According to the text above, she is not only precluded from entering the AWDF in 2008 but also on probation for 3 years.
David's reference to the life of the dog is to the next three years of the preclusion. I have no idea what happened at last years event so I am only reading what has been stated above.
-Will-
Hari: AKA: Stubborn Pup & Mischievous Imp
Tiko: Pound puppy & Social Butterfly
The two most abundant things in the universe are hydrogen and stupidity!
Will

Postby Danny » Fri Jul 13, 2007 10:47 am

Whether one likes it or not, I suspect the organization that hosts the championship will exert their authority over who does or does not participate in their championship.

I suspect the AWDF wants to send a message to our organization - AWMA - that they will not tolerate irresponsible behavior. I was told that there were other instances of irresponsible behavior on the part of Malinois owners at last year's championship. E.g., having one's dog do a bark and hold in the foyer and having one's dog jump around on the furniture in the host hotel lobby at 11 pm at night, etc.

I know, in So. Cal. at least, Malinois owners are generally regarded by the other breed organizations as low lifes that have no manners. This perception is something that we are constantly trying to change. It's difficult when some Mal owners think it's funny to get drunk and work their dogs or make their dogs drink alcohol, show up at trials drinking, work their dogs in protection in the parking lot with dogs that are not entered in the trial while dogs are on the field trialing, etc.

When a few owners are irresponsible we all suffer.

I was just talking to a former Mal owner who loves the breed who thinks the Mal community is awful. This person is now an official in USA. I also know of Rottweiler people with USRC that think Mal owners represent the great unwashed.

Maybe all these people are just jealous.....
Danny

Postby Gunny » Fri Jul 13, 2007 12:13 pm

Mike Baker wrote:It is excessive. She shouldn't be resricted so much as to lose the opportunities she has with such a great dog/handler team. Thanks Glenn for your information.

Should a dog/handler team with less talent be treated different?....I think if anything the handlers at higher levels should be held to higher standards. They are professionals in highly visible spots.

The NFL and NBA have been hammered for thier lack of "action" on competitors who get in trouble. The NFL finally is doing something, and recieveing a hail of praise.

I do not see how the ability to score points should have anything to do with AWDFs decsions.
Temple of the Tree's Aderes (Addie) SchH3. HOT
A'Mickey DaKine
Http://MalinoisDaKine.com
Gunny

Postby Christopher Smith » Fri Jul 13, 2007 1:00 pm

Danny wrote:
When a few owners are irresponsible we all suffer.

I agree with you 100%. (Is this a first? :shock: )

There is a big problem with us. The term I most often hear is disrespectful. I don’t agree with this but this is how “They” see us.

Look at it from their point of view. Here is this group with a new breed that are getting titles with their American bred and trained dogs. Most of us have trained less than 3 dogs in the sport. Yet we have the chutzpah breed and train the way we want. Few of us hold the “good ole boys” of the sport in very high regard. And above all we are winning.

So every time we screw up They are going let the hammer fall. Growing up (DOB 1967) black here in the US I was always told that to be considered equal you have to be twice as good, because that is the only way to break through people’s prejudices. I think Malinois folks are at this same stage of development or acceptance. We have to always strive to be better than in every facet.

I think they have accepted the fact that our dogs can work. Now we have to make them accept the fact that we are not a bunch of frat boys and girls gone wild. Mind you I’m the last guy in the world to want acceptance for acceptance sake. But the dog world is far to small for us all to not get along. Once we have some level of acceptance we can then turn them to the Malinois and our evil ways. :twisted:

Did you know that white kids from the suburbs buy more hip-hop CDs than black kids from the inner-city? :wink:
"Honesty is never seen sitting astride the fence."
Christopher Smith

Postby Christopher Smith » Fri Jul 13, 2007 1:23 pm

Gunny wrote:
I do not see how the ability to score points should have anything to do with AWDFs decsions.

Once again I’m in complete agreement.

Between you guys going with more aggression in protection and the stuff said on this thread we won’t have much to argue about over drinks at The National. :lol:
"Honesty is never seen sitting astride the fence."
Christopher Smith

Postby mohawkjohn » Fri Jul 13, 2007 2:12 pm

Hey the AWDF still does not have anyone to host a AWDF National in 2008 anyways. As far as being irresponsible and drinking at a dog function that is part of the fun ok maybe not irresponsible but I sure enjoy partying with my friends that some I only see once a year. Marina was punished and Im not worried about her at the AWMA Nationals. And Rev. Chris you please be aware the most famous rap and hip hop guy is White....Ha Ha..
mohawkjohn

Next

Return to Events