FMBB Team Competition

Events and results

Moderators: annecamper, Bob Miller, AronSchH3, sch3dana, Paul K

Postby Mike B » Fri May 25, 2007 9:24 am

GREAT post Doug!!!!

Helpers are athletes!.... It's a contact sport and you need skill to get to the Reginal, National or World levels. Just like in any other sport you have coaches that guide their players a long, teach them and give them advice... telling them when to make adjustments in their game. Help them better themselves and to perform at their best. Weather it is an individual sport or a team sport at any level. Being an ex minor league ball player I loved the fact that I had a hitting coach and a fielding coach... durning a game they would tell me where I needed to make my adjustments to improve..... as a player improved the team would benefit. Same goes for helper work.... The organization as a whole benefits... the dogs, the handlers and our sport will benefit.

There should be a coach at every big event imo.... to have an extra set of eyes watching you is a major plus for helpers. If this becomes the norm at every event(I pray) you will see a drastic improvement.

I am a new helper.... only have worked a few trials...my goal is to work at the Regional, National and World level... and to have a coach guide me to get to my goals is GREAT idea. I believe the SchH USA Helper committee has taken great strides to improve the helper program and their goal is to bring it to be the best in the world.

Hope to see you on the trial field...

Safe Training,
Mike Burke
Last edited by Mike B on Fri May 25, 2007 2:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NEVER FORGET!
Mike B

Postby Danny » Fri May 25, 2007 9:39 am

sch3dana wrote: (where are the criticisms of the judge in this thread? He obviously allowed some of this to continue on or there wouldn't have been so many injuries.)

I was told that the judge (who, himself has decoyed at the world level) met with decoys every morning of the competition to work with them on their technique. Also, I was told that the judge's choices were limited in that the back-up decoys showed much less ability than the trial decoys.

On another note, the guy that knows something about building a decoy program is Les Flores. The best thing about trialing in DVG at the Regional and National level was that I knew the decoys were going to be qualified and safe. No try-outs for the local talent. Just fly in the best. If I'm not mistaken, Les gets the credit for that.
Danny

Postby LFlo » Fri May 25, 2007 11:34 am

Thank you Danny. This means quite a lot to me.
L. Flo
LFlo

Postby Doug Wendling » Fri May 25, 2007 12:04 pm

I just spoke with a Dutch friend of mine and he told me the dog that runs back to the handler in the video after the long bite had to be destroyed. He had a broken sternum and two cracked neck vertebra. I can only hope that we let ego's aside and never allow something like this to take place in this Country. Broken ribs, legs, sternums and dogs being put to sleep, it sounds like they were in Iraq, not at a IPO Championship.

Whether it is the USA or the DVG, lets all hope we continue to take the helper programs seriously and play no favors the helpers earn their spots are they are gone. This blows my mind that, that many dogs can be seriously hurt at one event and that the helpers were the best they had to offer :( Maybe they should have asked Belgians or the Dutch to step in and work the trial?

Doug Wendling
Doug Wendling

Postby Ivan » Fri May 25, 2007 2:32 pm

I have many cool pics form the championship and finally some time
here are two for now, i will post some more when i get back from the seminar in long island. Ivan

If you are successful, You will win false friends and true enemies.
Succeed anyway !
Ivan

Postby Gunny » Fri May 25, 2007 3:34 pm

(where are the criticisms of the judge in this thread? He obviously allowed some of this to continue on or there wouldn't have been so many injuries.)

I think that after dog number 5,6,7,...12....15 got hurt, he should have just said. I am done. No more dogs. This is a blood bath. I think that if he pulled the trial due to crappy helper work. It would have been all eyes on the helper work. I think that clubs hositng trials and the parent club would take having decent helpers more serious. Also, if this keeps happening the Animal Rights folks are going to come for thier witch hunt.

I do think the judge is the Captain of the ship of at a trial. And no matter what it's thier responsability to keep the ship afloat.

And I have only been to a few trials.... so take it with a grain of salt.
Temple of the Tree's Aderes (Addie) SchH3. HOT
A'Mickey DaKine
Http://MalinoisDaKine.com
Gunny

Postby Doug Wendling » Fri May 25, 2007 9:30 pm

Gunny
You are right the judge is in control, but stopping a World Championship is way easier said then done. The fact is the host organization knew wayyyy a head of time they were hosting this, so they should have had the best helpers there and in the best shape they could have been in. Could you imagine the uproar, had the judge stopped the trial? The judge would have been stoned stopping the trial with all these people paying thousands of dollars and years to get to that point. The host organization dropped the ball big on this one with the helpers they put up there as their best.

Doug Wendling
Doug Wendling

Postby Gunny » Fri May 25, 2007 9:41 pm

I agree it's easier said than done. I would cringe to be in his position. But none the less, 17 dogs are injured, At what point to do you say screw the people, thier money, and the points. What about the dogs?

And I am sure people would be mad. I doubt he would be stoned. And I would say the backlash....with a good explantion could totally be placed on the people who failed the dogs. Which I think the judge is now part of that category for not stopping the trial.
A'Mickey DaKine
Gunny

Postby Doug Wendling » Sat May 26, 2007 1:16 pm

Gunny
I don't disagree with you at all.
But, the fact remains it is the responsibility of the hosting organization (especially for a World event) to have helpers there that can do the job. And if they had none, then ego's should be put aside and go to one of their European neighbors and say we need help guys our helpers can make the grade. But, that comes down to ego, if the event is held in Country X, then they will make dam sure the helpers will be from Country X working the event whether they are up to the task or not. And that goes for any Country, if you don't have the talent (helper wise) to pull off an event like that then ask for help from other organizations or Countries that have the resources, or better yet DON'T host such and event.

I personally don't think it is fair to lay that big of a burden on the protection judge, all the years and money that people have spent getting there. I just don't think that should be something the protection judge should have to give any thought to for a World Championship event, gee I hope my helpers can catch a dog?

Doug Wendling
Doug Wendling

Postby Christopher Smith » Sat May 26, 2007 1:27 pm

Danny wrote:
On another note, the guy that knows something about building a decoy program is Les Flores. The best thing about trialing in DVG at the Regional and National level was that I knew the decoys were going to be qualified and safe. No try-outs for the local talent. Just fly in the best. If I'm not mistaken, Les gets the credit for that.

And just as importantly Les brought a bit of integrity to the organization and his integrity rubbed off on the helpers he help to developed.
"Honesty is never seen sitting astride the fence."
Christopher Smith

Postby Christopher Smith » Sat May 26, 2007 1:37 pm

Gunny wrote:But none the less, 17 dogs are injured

Please site your source.

IF 17 dogs got hurt the judge should have stopped the trial. If the judge doesn’t have the stones to that maybe he shouldn’t be judging a championship.
Christopher Smith

Postby Gunny » Sun May 27, 2007 6:44 pm

On another forum here is the link.

http://forum.belgiansworld.com/index.ph ... cseen.html

He claims to be have been present at the trial.

I do not have any reason to distrust the person....But it is hearsay.
A'Mickey DaKine
Gunny

Postby Gunny » Sun May 27, 2007 6:45 pm

Doug Wendling wrote:Gunny
I don't disagree with you at all.
But, the fact remains it is the responsibility of the hosting organization (especially for a World event) to have helpers there that can do the job. And if they had none, then ego's should be put aside and go to one of their European neighbors and say we need help guys our helpers can make the grade. But, that comes down to ego, if the event is held in Country X, then they will make dam sure the helpers will be from Country X working the event whether they are up to the task or not. And that goes for any Country, if you don't have the talent (helper wise) to pull off an event like that then ask for help from other organizations or Countries that have the resources, or better yet DON'T host such and event.

I personally don't think it is fair to lay that big of a burden on the protection judge, all the years and money that people have spent getting there. I just don't think that should be something the protection judge should have to give any thought to for a World Championship event, gee I hope my helpers can catch a dog?

Doug Wendling

I do agree that the club is responisble for finding helpers and should be dealt with.
A'Mickey DaKine
Gunny

Postby Christopher Smith » Tue May 29, 2007 6:22 pm

Gunny wrote:On another forum here is the link.

http://forum.belgiansworld.com/index.ph ... cseen.html

He claims to be have been present at the trial.

I do not have any reason to distrust the person....But it is hearsay.

Thanks for being frank.

I think that all of us have opinions about what happened or what didn’t happen. But when we write stuff on an open board such as this I think we have to be extra responsible about spreading rumors as if they are facts. I can just see the headline in the next PETA newsletter “17 dogs Injured in Brutal Sport”. With the article stating that “According to the AWMA website....”

Know what I mean?

If 17 dogs were injured why weren’t 17 dogs listed as injured in the trial results?
Christopher Smith

Postby Christopher Smith » Tue May 29, 2007 6:43 pm

BTW, the guy on the other board that came up with the figure of 17 dogs was NOT at the trial.
Christopher Smith

PreviousNext

Return to Events