New Letter Featured dog team/ Kennel

Topics of general interest relating to the Belgian Malinois or to dogs in general.

Moderators: annecamper, Bob Miller, AronSchH3, sch3dana, Paul K

New Letter Featured dog team/ Kennel

Postby Gunny » Fri Jul 02, 2010 2:13 pm

Members~~~ The AWMA News letter Would like your input.

We are featuring a dog and/or kennel in each issue. If you know or own a kennel/dog that you would like to put in the magazine you can e-mail a small one page or less article on the dog or kennel. also training Ideas are welcome

For a dog-- A quick bio that includes what kennel and breeding it was from. Why you choose this kennel, litter. How many Malinois you have owned. Why a Malinois. A quick run down of highlights from the dog's career. any progeny, siblings that you would like to mention. And your future plans. We would like mostly showcase the dog as a Malinois and what he/she has or will contribute the breed or IPO.

For a Kennel- Again Why Malinois, A quick run down of the dogs in the breeding progam, litters in the program. Also any special dogs that have achieved, or contributed to the Malinois. Your plans, past, present and future. Be specific, and how those plans will effect the Malinois as a breed or IPO.

This is a great chance to get your kennel or dog in the eye of many Malinois owner. Also, if you submit an article and you do not see it one issue....be patient it may come out in the next.
Training articles are always welcome---
Also clubs whom have trials----reports from trials would be beautiful.

This is your club! Help us thrive. Even if you cannot serve in another capacity, This is a simple thing you can do to help the Malinois!
Temple of the Tree's Aderes (Addie) SchH3. HOT
A'Mickey DaKine
Http://MalinoisDaKine.com
Gunny

Re: New Letter Featured dog team/ Kennel

Postby malndobe » Tue Jul 06, 2010 12:16 pm

Why limit it to IPO? What about the Ring sports (FR, MR and BR)? They have a much longer history with the Malinois then Sch/IPO. And there are some very nice Malinois in the US right now competing in the Ring sports.
malndobe

Postby Gunny » Wed Jul 07, 2010 4:26 pm

I did not state that it was limited to Malinois only in IPO. The News letter is a vehicle used by the AWMA to aid in it's objectives (see below) as a club. The featured dog and kennel are not limited to Malinois competeing in IPO. But if confronted with the decision to choose between more than one dog or kennel to feature and all other things being equal. I will take these objectives and see what dog/kennel better satifies them.

ARTICLE II : OBJECTIVES

The objectives of this association shall be to preserve the Belgian Malinois in accordance with the Breed Standard as a working dog.

Activities shall:

1.Promote IPO and schutzhund training for the working dog, to promote humane training methods for the working dog, and to support responsible dog ownership and breeding practices.
2..Develop, qualify, and license local clubs in the United States and its possessions so that they may conduct schutzhund and IPO trials and tracking tests for the FH degree (Faehrtenhundpruefung).

3..Develop, as decided by the Board of Directors, any other tests to insure the further development and maintenance of the Belgian Malinois as a working dog, and to encourage local clubs to implement these tests.

4.Promote training of working dogs among the youth.

5.Support the use of working dogs for search and rescue work, police work, customs and border patrol work, guide dog work, scenting work and in other ways for which working dogs are utilized.

6. Produce a vehicle of communication to promote the objectives of the association.

7.Conduct annually a National IPO III Championship to coincide with the meeting of the General Board of Directors.
A'Mickey DaKine
Gunny

Postby Phil Behun » Thu Jul 08, 2010 12:14 am

Please,,,,,no Mondio, it makes my eyes bleed and my tummy hurt.
Phil Behun
Oak Spring Kennels
von der Eichenquelle Belgian Malinois

www.malinoisdogs.com
www.oakspringkennels.com
Phil Behun

Postby Danny » Fri Jul 09, 2010 11:05 am

Phil Behun wrote:Please,,,,,no Mondio, it makes my eyes bleed and my tummy hurt.

Ok Phil, I'll bite. From the above comment, I gather that you have criticisms of MR.

I have little experience with the various Ring Sports. If I read your comment correctly, I'm curious. What are your criticisms of MR? Given the results from the last MR Championship it must be a challenge to train for.
Danny

Postby Phil Behun » Sun Jul 11, 2010 9:58 pm

For weak dogs and decoys that can't do FR.

(Now comes the assault)
Phil Behun
Oak Spring Kennels

www.malinoisdogs.com
www.oakspringkennels.com
Phil Behun

Postby Danny » Mon Jul 12, 2010 8:58 am

Phil Behun wrote:For weak dogs and decoys that can't do FR.

(Now comes the assault)

It would be nice for a change if no assault came.

What are the differences between the FR and MR routines that make the MR routine, in your view, easier?
Danny

Postby Phil Behun » Mon Jul 12, 2010 9:15 am

Decoys do not esquive dogs in Mondio and use the stick only as a distraction. The use of "accessories" is introduced but it's kind of like a FR Brevet, once the dog gets through the "accessory", it becomes moot.
Phil Behun
Oak Spring Kennels

www.malinoisdogs.com
www.oakspringkennels.com
Phil Behun

Postby Gunny » Mon Jul 12, 2010 6:39 pm

Phil I ask out of complete ignorance... I understand what esquiving is. I do not understand it's purpose in the sport.
A'Mickey DaKine
Gunny

Postby malndobe » Mon Jul 12, 2010 7:51 pm

The purpose of the esquive is to remove the dogs forward momentum, and see if they will still come through the threat. Many dogs will blast down a field, and come through a threat simply because of their momentum. Ie they get to the bite before they really register the threat. Esquive that dog, and you have taken that speed away. Now the dog has to turn around, and the decoy is right there, with the threat. Be it barrage, body language, a short charge at the dog, etc. Now the dog has to come through based on character, not speed. There are dogs that will punch through a barrage on that initial entry, but esquive them, put down the barrage, and they will hesitate or not come through at all. Or if they are good they will try to come through. If the decoy can esquive them again, now they have to try to come through again. Some dogs after the 2nd or 3rd esquive will give up, others will keep on trying. Add to it that at the upper levels the decoy may not "pull" the barrage (open it at the last second and let the dog in) and the dog could take a crack to the head while trying to come through. Watch 1:39 this isn't a classical esquive, but an example of what can happen during/after one while coming through the barrage. There are some other esquives with barrage on the return in the video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9zAMZafzMzA
malndobe

Postby Stew » Tue Jul 13, 2010 12:40 am

So then schutzhund must be pretty low on the list then...Decoys do not esquive dogs, and the dogs don't even have to deal with accessories, just a couple of stick hits with a padded stick. So is it then safe to say that the only real test is FR, and MR and SCH are just for giggles? I don't know...I've seen FR dogs crap out doing SCH and vice versa... I have also seen those that excel at both, often due to a well thought out training program/plan.
Stew
Stew

Postby malndobe » Tue Jul 13, 2010 7:40 am

Stew, who are you responding to/asking the question of?
malndobe

Postby Phil Behun » Tue Jul 13, 2010 10:04 am

It's not the stick "hits" in Schutzhund that pose the problem as much as the previously mentioned "threat" of the stick hits. The "posture" that a helper/decoy can present in front of a dog is probably as if not more effective than his physical opposition.
Phil Behun
Oak Spring Kennels

www.malinoisdogs.com
www.oakspringkennels.com
Phil Behun

Postby Gunny » Tue Jul 13, 2010 12:45 pm

Thanks for the explanation.
A'Mickey DaKine